As the world transitions to cardless and contactless payments, you may wonder whether Walgreens takes Apple Pay. Walgreens is one of the biggest drugstore chains in the United States. So, it’s likely a question in the minds of many customers.
As of 2021, Walgreens offers payment through Apple Pay. In fact, you can use Apple Pay for your Walgreens purchases in-store, through their app, or via their online store. Not to mention the 3% cashback you’ll receive when using your Apple Card via Apple Pay. And customers can choose to use their Walgreens Balance Rewards card with Apple Pay at checkout.
That said, you cannot use Apply Pay to pay for photo products purchased online, unfortunately. But in every other instance, Walgreens takes Apple Pay as an official payment method for your purchases.
The first Walgreens store was a modest food shop in Chicago in 1901. Today, this pharmaceutical giant operates over 9,000 stores across the US. And the company achieved an incredible $139.5 billion in revenue in 2020.
It’s easy to see why Walgreens is America’s go-to drugstore for prescription and over-the-counter medication. And it’s also a popular choice for health food options, supplements, toiletries, and other essentials.
This blog post will cover everything you need to know about how and why Walgreens takes Apple Pay and more.
What are the Reasons that Walgreens Takes Apple Pay?
Many retailers and other vendors are moving to contactless and cardless payment options. This gives customers the option to pay for their goods utilizing digital wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc. And there are multiple benefits to incorporating these payment methods within their service offering.
These are the reasons why Walgreens takes Apple Pay:
- Offering payment via digital wallet attracts a wider strange of customers to Walgreens.
- Unlike other prominent retailers who don’t take Apple Pay, Walgreens does not have its own digital wallet service. So, there’s no competition regarding payment methods for the company.
- Walgreens shows customers that it is up to date with advancements in technology.
- By installing NFC technology at their stores for cardless, contactless payment, they offer clients more convenience and safety when shopping.
- The COVID-19 pandemic gave the human race a harsh lesson in the spread of germs and the need for proper sanitation. Allowing customers to pay without a card in a contactless manner is far more hygienic than traditional payment methods.
How do You Pay with Apple Pay at Walgreens?
Using Apple Pay to purchase products at Walgreens is incredibly straightforward with their recently installed NFC terminals. All you need is an iPhone 6 or better and the Apple Pay app downloaded to your phone.
Here, we’ve detailed how to pay with Apple Pay at Walgreens in different scenarios. When you’re familiar with the methods highlighted below, you’ll be using Apple Pay at Walgreens like a pro.
Purchasing with Apple Pay at a Walgreens Store
After you’ve done your shopping in-store, you can head on over to the checkout queue as usual. And when it’s your turn to pay, you’ll need to follow these steps to make the purchase via Apple Pay:
- Allow the Walgreens cashier to scan your items as usual.
- When the cashier has scanned all the items you wish to purchase, let them know that you’d like to pay using Apple Pay.
- The cashier will direct you to the NFC reader at the register.
- After a short moment, the reader will indicate that it’s ready to process your payment.
- At this point, you’ll open the Apple Pay app on your iPhone or Apple Watch and confirm your identity. This is done through Apple’s biometric security system scanning your fingerprint or face.
- Select the card you’d like to use for payment if you’re not using the default card.
- Then hold your device close to the reader to facilitate the payment.
- When complete, your phone will display a large green checkmark. And if using an Apple Watch, you’ll feel a slight tap on your wrist and hear a beep confirming payment.
Purchasing with Apple Pay through the Walgreens Website and App
Shopping online or via an app with Apple Pay is easy. Basically, it follows the same process as paying in-store. However, you must access the Walgreens online store or app using an Apple iPhone, iPad, Watch, or Mac computer. These are the steps you should follow when making payment:
- Make sure you’re signed in with the correct Apple ID on the devices you’re using.
- After you’ve added the products you want to your cart, go to the Checkout section of the online store or app.
- Fill in your billing and shipping information, and select the Apple Pay options as your payment method. The Apple Pay app should open up on the relevant device.
- Ensure that you have the correct card selected before executing the purchase.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to confirm your identity via Touch ID or Face ID scan.
- Once confirmed, the payment will be processed, and you’ll receive verification through the Apple Pay app when payment is complete.
Pay with Your Walgreens Balance Rewards Card via Apple Pay
You can link your Walgreens Balance Rewards Card to your Apple Pay Wallet. And you would do so precisely the same way you did when linking your debit or credit card to the digital wallet.
This way, you can choose to pay with your Walgreens Balance Rewards Card through your Apple Pay Wallet. And you can do so either in-store or through the Walgreens online store or app.
Get 3% Cashback when You Pay with Your Apple Pay Card at Walgreens
Walgreens now rewards shoppers who pay online or in-store using their Apple Pay Card via Apple Pay. While this might sound complicated, it really isn’t. Simply link your Apple Pay Card to your digital wallet, as you would any other debit or credit card.
The trick is to obtain an Apple Pay Card because it is a credit card. And you’ll need to apply for one through Apple online. This is, however, all done digitally. If you qualify for an Apple Card, it will appear in your Apple Pay Wallet.
Because Walgreens takes Apple Pay, nothing is stopping you from shopping safely and hygienically in-store, online, or via their app. You could even benefit from their cashback rewards when using Apple Pay.
Walgreens has evolved its services with the advancement of technology. And, in doing so, the company has provided a convenient and secure shopping experience for its customers.