How old do you have to be to work at Walmart? That’s not a difficult question to answer. However, if you’re asking this question, chances are you’ll have questions relating to requirements, applications, and more. And give you all the pointers you need in this article.
To work at Walmart, you must be 16 years old or older. And, with little to no experience, you would be hired as an entry-level, part-time employee. Typically, the entry-level jobs available to you will be either a cashier, stock associate, sales associate, greeter, or cart attendant role. On average, one can expect an hourly wage of $12.00 to $22.00.
When you work at Walmart, you are part of a team. And the overall mission is to ensure that customers have an enjoyable experience when shopping at the store. Therefore, employees must be friendly, patient, and customer service orientated when working for Walmart.
Teen Jobs at Walmart
The role of a cashier is a common one adopted by students and junior employees. However, Walmart demands a high standard from its cashiers as they play a crucial role in the customer’s shopping experience.
It’s a demanding position, especially during peak shopping hours. And, during those busy hours, cashiers should be comfortable taking on several tasks at once. The ability to remain level-headed and think clearly under pressure will be an asset in this role.
You can expect to carry out the following duties as a Walmart cashier:
- Being friendly and polite to customers as operate the checkout with a smile
- Enduring long hours of standing while ringing up and packing customer purchases
- Ensuring that your till is kept clean and neat at all times
- Fielding customer queries and assisting them in finding the products and services they need
- Being available to help other Walmart team members in the store if required
How Old Do You Have To Be A Cashier At Walmart?
To apply for a part-time job as a cashier at Walmart, you’ll need to be 16 years old.
How Much Does Walmart Pay Part-Time Cashiers?
The careers section of the Walmart website indicates that cashiers can earn anywhere between $12.00 and $17.00 per hour. That’s an average hourly wage of $14.50 per hour.
Taking on the role of stock associate can be physically demanding. While you’ll have trolleys, forklifts, etc., to help you move stock, you’ll still need to lift and stack individual items.
Packing, receiving, and displaying stock will be your primary focus. But, because you’ll often be out in the aisles, you’ll likely need to assist customers with product queries. Therefore, a courteous and friendly disposition is an absolute must.
As a Walmart stock associate, you can expect to be responsible for the following duties:
- Help with the offloading of delivery trucks
- Organized and keep track of inventory in the storeroom
- Ensure that store shelves are fully stocked
- Keep store shelves, stock, and aisles tidy and presentable
- Deal with suppliers and delivery services in a friendly and polite manner
- Greet customers with a smile and assist them with any queries they may have
How Old Do You Have To Be A Stock Associate At Walmart?
You must be 16 years old when applying for the stock associate role at Walmart.
How Much Does Walmart Pay Part-Time Stock Associates?
Walmart stipulates that store stock associates earn an hourly wage of between $13.00 and $21.00. This means that your average hourly wage as a stock associate would be $17.00 per hour.
A sales associate is someone stationed in a specific store department who has received training regarding the products in that department. Examples would be the beauty, audiovisual, and electronic appliances departments.
Sales associates are responsible for recommending and advising on products within the department. They may also be required to ring up the item when a sale is made. Being knowledgeable about the products in your section is key to being successful in this role.
Some of the primary duties of a Walmart sales associate include the following:
- Receiving customers in a warm and welcoming manner
- Helping customers find and products they may be looking for
- Checking the prices of products for customers
- Advising on suitable products for the customer’s needs
- Ensuring that all product displays and store shelves are packed neatly
- Fielding customer queries regarding various store products, services, and policies
- Keeping the aisles clear and presentable
How Old Do You Have To Be A Sales Associate At Walmart?
If you’d like to apply to be a sales associate at your local Walmart, you must be 16 years or older.
How Much Does Walmart Pay Part-Time Sales Associates?
Part-time sales associates at Walmart have the opportunity to earn anywhere from $12.00 to $17.00 per hour. The actual wage would depend on the candidate’s level of experience. But the average earning potential here is $14.50 per hour.
The store greeter is the first and last person any customer will engage with. In other words, they are responsible for the customer’s initial and final interaction with the Walmart brand. Therefore, greeters are the face of the Walmart store. And this role is best suited to someone who will create a stellar first impression.
As the store greeter, you would greet each customer as they enter the store and make them feel welcome. Other greeter duties would include the following:
- Greeting customers when they arrive at and leave the store
- Helping customers find and choose a cart
- Giving our coupons or flyers to customers
- Directing customers to a particular department
- Assisting customers with returns
- Help to keep the entrance to the store clean and tidy
How Old Do You Have To Be A Greeter At Walmart?
Walmart will only consider your application as a greeter if you are at least 16 years old.
How Much Does Walmart Pay Part-Time Greeters?
Those employed as greeters at Walmart can expect to earn between $12.00 and $17.00 per hour, depending on their past experience. Therefore, the average wage for a part-time Walmart greeter is $14.50.
Cart Attendant/Janitorial Associate
One of the more labor-intensive roles at Walmart is that of the cart attendant and janitorial associate. You may find that these are two separate positions assigned to different employees at some stores. But they are often grouped as one role.
As a Walmart cart attendant and janitorial associated, you’ll be tasked with the following:
- Playing your part in ensuring customers have the best possible shopping experience
- Collecting used and abandoned carts from the parking lot and stacking them together neatly at the store entrance
- Operating machinery and equipment used to gather and transport carts from the parking lot
- Cleaning floors, restrooms, and other areas as required
- Greeting and liaising with customers with a smile and sunny disposition
How Old Do You Have To Be A Cart Attendant/Janitorial Associate At Walmart?
To apply for the role of cart attendant/janitorial associate at Walmart, you must be 16 years old or more.
How Much Does Walmart Pay Part-Time Cart Attendant/Janitorial Associates?
As a cart attendant/janitorial associate, you can expect to earn from $12.00 to $17.00 per hour. That’s an average of $14.50 in this role. If the position is separated into two roles, this average may be reduced slightly.
Experience Needed to Apply for a Job at Walmart
Walmart offers several entry-level positions making it easy for students or those new to the job world to apply. Therefore, for specific roles, no prior experience may be required. In which case, Walmart will provide the necessary training before you begin work.
Bear in mind that in an entry-level role, you’ll receive their entry-level wage. That said, if you have experience working in a similar retail environment, you could start at a higher rate per hour.
Benefits of Working at Walmart
As a 16-year-old part-time employee, the only perk you’ll be eligible for is an employee discount on goods purchased. However, you will benefit from excellent work experience at a world-famous retailer.
Full-time employees receive the usual paid leave, sick days, bonuses, 401K, and more. Employees also have access to a stock purchase plan, medical insurance, and funding for further education.
Sending in Your Walmart Job Application
To apply for a job at Walmart, go to the careers section of their website. Here you can view an up-to-date list of their job openings. And you can apply for any of the jobs listed directly through the website. And, if successful, one of Walmart’s representatives will call you to set up an interview.
Several entry-level positions are available for teens who want to gain work experience and earn an income. However, the minimum age to apply for a job at Walmart is 16 years old.